Students attending SBC Summer Schools and Summer Colleges will enjoy an exciting Activity and Social programme, which includes trips to London, Stonehenge and Thorpe Park. Those staying with us at Headington School, Oxford College, Oxford Preparation College or Cambridge College will also have plenty of opportunities to discover more about the famous university cities in which our programmes are located.
- Punting – A trip to either Oxford or Cambridge wouldn’t be complete without a traditional ‘punt’ down the River Cherwell (Oxford) or the River Cam (Cambridge). In Oxford, students will pass the famous Christ Church College Meadows, where Lewis Carroll taught in the mid-19th century while writing Alice in Wonderland. In Cambridge, students will see many of the famous colleges, a highlight of which is the beautiful King’s College Chapel. The trip offers some fantastic photo opportunities to capture the experience with friends. Students are able to sit back and relax as they enjoy a tranquil water journey led by a tour guide, or have the opportunity to direct the punt themselves.
- Visits to world-famous museums – Our Oxford and Cambridge students are offered the opportunity to spend a leisurely afternoon exploring either the Ashmolean and Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford, or the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge. The Ashmolean is a must see! The world’s first university museum was built between 1678-1683, and houses priceless drawings by Michelangelo, Raphael and Leonardo da Vinci. The Pitt Rivers Museum is a visual dream with its dinosaur bones, skeletons and ancient artifacts on show. The Fitzwilliam Museum boasts over half a million incredible artworks in its collection and frequently holds art exhibitions. It has been described as one of the most impressive museums in Europe, partially due to hosting the works of Constable, Hogarth, and Gainsborough.
- Open Air Shakespeare – Students studying at our Summer Colleges, and some of our Summer Study students at our SBC Summer Schools, will have the opportunity to watch live outdoor plays by England’s most famous playwright, William Shakespeare. Open Air Shakespeare is a unique and enthralling experience and a special way to spend a warm summer’s evening.
- Harry Potter – Fans of the popular Harry Potter series will enjoy visiting a famous location from the books and films during their time in Oxford with SBC. The Hogwarts ‘Great Hall’ is inspired by the University of Oxford’s Christ Church College Hall. It is the most visited college in all of Oxford, and is also home to the City’s cathedral.
- City walking tours – If the ancient walls of Oxford and Cambridge could speak, they would tell stories which would inspire the next generation. In Oxford, students will go on a walking tour, where they will visit the famous Merton College where J.R.R. Tolkien, author of the Lord of the Rings books, was a Professor. Other places of interest include Hertford Bridge, known as the Bridge of Sighs because of its similarity to the famous bridge in Venice, and The Sheldonian Theatre. In Cambridge, students will enjoy guided walks with SBC staff around the university campus, taking in the wonderful architecture at Trinity College, Clare College and Corpus Christi College.