The Social Programme Coordinator is responsible for the day to day running of the on-site Social & Activity Programme that takes place in the afternoons and evenings of the summer school.
The importance of the Social & Activity Programme at a residential summer school cannot be underestimated. The success or otherwise of the activities and social events has a huge bearing on how the students interact with each other, which will ultimately contribute to their overall summer experience. A successful Social & Activity Programme can help foster a positive and energetic atmosphere at the school, which is crucial in helping students form friendships and simply, have a great time!
Successfully running such an important part of the summer requires a high level of planning, preparation, organisation, and most importantly, communication.
Hours of Work
The Social Programme Coordinator will work six days out of seven and will usually have one full day off per week. Although the Social Programme Coordinator’s main responsibilities concern the activities and social events, the Social Programme Coordinator will also be expected to have an awareness of all aspects of the course.
The main focus of the Social Programme Coordinator is to deliver a vibrant, imaginative and well run programme of activities and social events. To do this effectively, it is crucial that the Social Programme Coordinator brings together all the ideas, energy and skills of the staff involved to best deliver the programme. Having an awareness of the overall picture of the programme and how each staff member can contribute to and work within it is essential.
The Social Programme Coordinator is responsible to the Summer School Director and will:
- Attend pre-course SBC Management Training
- Work closely and effectively with the other members of the summer school management team
- Take overall responsibility for planning and delivering the Social & Activity Programme
- Coordinate input from the Activity Leaders to write, implement and monitor the Social & Activity Programme
- Effectively induct all Activity Leaders during staff training
- Lead Activity Leader planning morning meetings to ensure events and activities are prepared and set up well in advance
- Ensure that all staff involved in events are well briefed and aware of their roles prior to events starting
- Ensure that all equipment and facilities are set up prior to events starting
- Be present at and, where appropriate, present the main activity evenings
- Ensure that all events are sufficiently staffed
- Collate activity sign-up sheets and registers to ensure that all students are present at activities and their whereabouts are known
- Support and monitor the staff performance in delivering the activity programme
- Coordinate the on-site English Plus activities
- Ensure appropriate standards of student behaviour are maintained
- If needed, administrate the running of the tuck-shop during break times; ensuring that stock is ordered in time
- Deal sensitively with student and parent enquires
- Along with the other members of the management team, assist in the smooth running of students and parents arriving and departing at the school
- Liaise with the Office Coordinator on transfers to and from all activities and excursions
- Ensure all meal times are well managed
- Assist with welfare and pastoral duties when needed
- Supervise and lead excursions if required
- Previous residential summer school experience
- Proven experience of coordinating staff and students in an events or activity programme capacity
Summer Boarding Courses is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We have a comprehensive Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy and procedures in place which all employees, volunteers and contractors are expected to adhere to. Conditional offers are subject to an enhanced check through the Disclosure and Barring Service and obtaining two satisfactory references, where previous employers are specifically asked about suitability to work with children. A summary of our Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy is available here . Our full Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy is available on request, in all summer school offices and at our Head Office.